Bucky dome dome

It all starts with an idea. I was brainstorming with a friend about some personal spheres and I got the idea to use old tent poles, the fiberglass ones with the shock-cord down the middle. So a few days of research and some openscad finagling I came up with a script to generate them. I printed one and posted it on thingiverse. A few weeks late user Effalo did up a full dome and posted a howto on his blog. He then uploaded some visual improvements for aligning the struts.
Finally the idea in my mind progressed into making spheres with LEDs on each node to use for some visuals so I started off on printing the 32 nodes. Well I got to 26, enough for the dome, but realized 42 was a more realistic number. I think it stems from my data from desert domes which was more about building domes, not spheres.
So here it is, the dome that is.

Heatcores

I finally got around to making a couple heater cores from makergear. Amazingly its not because my old one failed. One of these will be used for the new Mendel thats mostly complete. The mechanical part is all together so now I only have to work on the hot end. I printed up a wade extruder, the one modified for the makerbot but unfortunately one of the holes was off and I didnt use enough solidity ratio so I kinda already broke it. So until I get the energy to print up a new one I figured Id get the hot end ready.