From real to imaginary and back again reversed

 
Here’s my latest attempt at replicating a real object. The original was a beautiful hand crafted copper and enamelled skull by Markus Michel.
3IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPGIMG_0656-0.JPG
This was done using an iPhone, Catch 123D, Meshmixer, Blender, Slic3r, Pronterface and Smoothieboard  on my RepRap Wilson 3D Printer.
 

Prusa v2 update

I just finished my third printer, the makerbot is now a grandparent. Behold the prusa v2.

20121209-185700.jpg
I finally got around to putting on the old v1 heatbed and I hooked up the arcol v4 resistor. Sadly the stainless steel thing is far to fragile and blew out, I’m also dissapointed it uses a different thread size then the standard heater barrel, so I can reuse the awesome resistor core and mount, so i’ve thrown in a Maker Gear heatcore with a .25 big head nozzle. So far so good.
This build also has machined pulleys and t2 belts with lm8uu linear bearings. Finally I get flat bottom layers and circles are circles.
I’m also digging slic3rs new concentric fill, still a few bugs in the way it sorts stuff but I’m sure it’ll get fixed soon. Thanks sound for a great utility. I haven’t gone back to skeinforge since it tried it,

Hall effect home switches

Here’s some home switches for a cnc or 3d printer, opensource hall effect switch
update:
I built a bunch of these and have since installed them on the cnc at work and on my new prusa v2 reprap build. There great, I love the versatility of using the magnet as the switch, i’m able to tape or glue or if there’s some metal frame nearby just stick it to it. Plus the little light to let you know its on is nice. Mine are uv LEDs. I almost wonder why people still use the optical endstops, they definitely cost more.

20121209-191634.jpg
In that picture you can see the y and the z the little magnet for y is on the bottom bolt on the heatbed, I havn’t quite figured out how to mount the z or x one yet, yeah g92 x0y0z0.

2012

Well it’s 2012 and the buckybot printed me out lots of Christmas presents. I hope my family isn’t totally sick of free objects.
I finally put in an arcol type hotend, aluminum block with resistor. It works great, at least after getting the nozzle and barrel tight enough to prevent leaking. My next step is to insulate the block and add a little fan. The fan currently setup cools it to much and after 10 minutes it gets too cold to extrude.

It's Alive

I decided to order up a ramps kit from ultimachine to finally get my mendel working. The only thing that i’ve had a bit of an issue with is the firmware. I managed to get tesla’s version of tonokip’s firmware working, I had to edit the pins to reflect the correct assignment for the 1.2 version of ultimachine’s ramps. I also managed to get the reprap 5D firmware working too. I find the quality with 5D better which I think is do to the acceleration being enabled.

DomeBracket's

Must print more dome bracket’s. Well I love the newest rendition of the dome brackets with the ball and socket joint thanks to both effalo and yazzo for there work and everyone else who it wouldn’t be possible without. I’ve been making enough to do 1 dome and hopefully get 2 done sometime but sadly I’m waiting on some replacement pully’s for the Mendel. Thanks Kliment And mattymatt. I finally got a really nice pulley printed and wouldn’t ya know it’s the wrong one, well not completely wrong, it just won’t work with a stock sells x carriage. It was the pulleymod off a prusa repo and it’s slightly larger so it grips great just not for the tight radius on the stock sells x carriage. Luckily when I was on irc Kliment offered me some and the timing couldn’t be better since he was shortly receiving another shipment of as card adapters. Oh how I’d love for the Mendel to not need a computer, one day, one day. So until replacement parts arrive i decided to fire up the makerbot and put it to work. Sadly it’s like driving a bug after you’ve had a Porsche for a few months, it keeps working but it ain’t pretty, well perhaps debatable but nonetheless like the beauty of 16x microstepping and a stepped extruder. Oooo la la.

Halfway to prusa

The Buckybot aka. A sells Mendel is working great, other than my bad pulleys. I have to print up a batch and bring them to work and setup the drill press proper, or cut the laser cut version on the cnc at work, I just don’t like using the 1/16mm drill bit or rather haven’t used it yet. I managed to get half a prusa printed. I love the absolute reduction in parts. I decided printing spare parts for a prusa would be quicker. I made the mistake when assembling the Mendel of not drilling out the holes. I basically threaded everything into the PLA pieces, thus making replacement of individual parts time consuming. The prusa on the other hand looks to be much simplified in this regard. Meaning one can easily snap parts out if need be. I might have to reprint the z motor brackets since I printed them oriented in the other direction. The turned out well enough I am just not sure if they’ll be as strong.
I have enough spare pololu’s and gen3 electronics I should be able to get a prusa Mendel running but after dealing with the simplicity of the RAMPS setup I’m not sure If I want to go back. Although with the post online of using hydrogen peroxide and vinegar with salt as the developer solution for circuit boards the RAMPS setup becomes even more appealing.

Heatcores

I finally got around to making a couple heater cores from makergear. Amazingly its not because my old one failed. One of these will be used for the new Mendel thats mostly complete. The mechanical part is all together so now I only have to work on the hot end. I printed up a wade extruder, the one modified for the makerbot but unfortunately one of the holes was off and I didnt use enough solidity ratio so I kinda already broke it. So until I get the energy to print up a new one I figured Id get the hot end ready.